Customs clearance for animals and animal products



If you trade in certain animal products, certain live animals or germplasm with a European Union (EU) member state, you need an Intra Trade Animal Health Certificate (ITAHC).

Important: If the UK leaves the EU with no deal, you will no longer be able to use TRACES. You will need to follow a different process to import and export animals and animal products to and from the EU.

Read the latest UK government guidance on importing and exporting live animals or animal products.

Applying for an ITAHC

After registration for TRACES, you can apply to your local Divisional Veterinary Office (DVO) for an ITAHC via the TRACES website by completing Part 1 of the ITAHC online, electronically signing it and then submitting it to the DVO. Allow at least ten working days for the certificate to be issued to you.

You can also apply for an ITAHC by manually completing a printed form and sending this through to the DVO, who will then input this into TRACES. Find out more about TRACES.

How the authorities use TRACES

Veterinary authorities from the UK and abroad use TRACES to track the movement of consignments across Europe.

The system sends the ITAHC via TRACES as a notification to the destination authorities for each consignment.

For third-country (countries outside the EU) imports, the importer can use TRACES to notify the Border Inspection Post.

You will need to notify HM Revenue & Customs that veterinary checks have been completed in respect of third-country imports, or your customs entry will not be processed.