Vehicle documents required for international road haulage


When you drive a goods vehicle from one country to another, you must ensure that certain documents are on board. Some will be the same as those you use in the UK, eg the vehicle's registration papers, and others may be specific to your journey or reason for travel, eg the International Motor Insurance Certificate, a Dangerous Goods Note or Green Card.

This guide provides information about the documents drivers will need to ensure that their vehicle is legally able to cross international borders.

Important: After Brexit, lorry and truck drivers from the UK will need extra documentation to drive in the EU and EEA.

Read the latest UK government guidance for lorry and goods vehicle drivers on preparing to drive in the EU after Brexit.