Vehicle documents required for international road haulage

Vehicle insurance documents

There are three levels of general motor vehicle insurance in the UK:

  • third party
  • third party fire and theft
  • fully comprehensive

The level of your insurance cover determines the compensation available to you or other people for injury, loss or damage resulting from an accident.

Third party cover is the basic European Union (EU) legal requirement. This ensures that compensation for injury to other people, including your passengers, damage to or loss of other peoples' property resulting from an accident caused by you is available. None of the costs incurred by you as the result of an accident are covered. Most insurers offer extra levels of cover beyond the basic legal requirement.

Third party, fire and theft provides the same cover as third party but also includes fire damage and theft of the vehicle.

Fully comprehensive provides the same cover as third party, fire and theft and additionally covers any damage to your vehicle. Most insurers include extra levels of cover to this category, such as roadside recovery schemes, vehicle breakdown repairs and certain legal expenses.

Every motor insurance policy issued in the EU must provide the minimum insurance cover required by law in any other EU country. In many countries, even those within the EU where a UK insurance certificate is acceptable, you may be asked to produce a Green Card.

The Green Card is not an insurance cover. It simply provides proof, in those countries where the Green Card is valid, that the minimum third party liability cover required by law in the visited country is in force.

Use this interactive map to find countries that do and don't require a Green Card.

Important: Drivers of UK registered vehicles may need to carry a motor insurance Green Card when driving in the EU and EEA in a no deal Brexit scenario.

Read the latest UK government guidance on vehicle insurance for UK registered vehicles in the EU if there is no EU Exit deal.

Goods in transit insurance

In some countries, you may need to produce a certificate of insurance for the goods carried to avoid paying a premium - see moving goods by road.

It is also important to ensure that the risk of goods being damaged, delayed, perished, lost or stolen in transit is properly managed - see transport insurance.