The essentials of international road haulage

Temporarily taking a vehicle out of the UK

If you take a UK-registered vehicle out of the country for less than 12 months, you must take documentation to show that you are authorised to possess the vehicle. This means you must carry the original V5C(NI) with you.

If you take your vehicle out of the UK for more than 12 months (permanent export), you must notify the DVA - read more about exporting vehicles.

If you have a V5C(NI), you must complete and return section 11. It is important that you take your registration certificate with you as you may have to hand it to the relevant authority when the vehicle is registered abroad.

If your vehicle is hired or leased, the supplier company is unlikely to release the original V5C(NI) to you. The alternative is to apply for a Vehicle on Hire Certificate (VE103), which you can carry instead. This certificate is authenticated proof of permission from the owner to take the vehicle abroad. A Vehicle on Hire Certificate is valid for one year and you can buy one from motoring organisations such as:

  • Automobile Association (AA)
  • British Vehicle Rental & Leasing Association
  • Fleet Transport Association
  • Green Flag
  • Royal Automobile Club (RAC)
  • Road Haulage Association

Important: After Brexit, lorry and truck drivers from the UK will need extra documentation to drive in the EU and EEA.

Read the latest UK government guidance for lorry and goods vehicle drivers on preparing to drive in the EU after Brexit.