WEEE for manufacturers, rebranders and importers

WEEE producer responsibilities


If you produce, rebrand or import electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) and your products fall under the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Regulations, you must comply with certain responsibilities.

To check whether your products are affected, see how to check whether WEEE producer responsibilities apply to you.

Producer compliance schemes (PCSs)

All EEE producers must join a PCS. If you fail to do so you can be prosecuted and fined up to £5,000 in a magistrates' court, or an unlimited amount in a Crown Court.

Your PCS will be responsible for:

  • registering your business as a producer with the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA)
  • reporting the EEE you place on the UK market
  • arranging the collection of household WEEE from designated collection facilities or other established collection networks
  • arranging the treatment and recovery of WEEE
  • providing evidence that you have complied with your WEEE treatment and recovery obligations
  • providing advice on complying with obligations regarding household and non-household WEEE

You will need to pay the PCS for collecting, treating, recovering and disposing of the same amount of household EEE that you place on the UK market. There are separate collection and funding arrangements for non-household equipment - see financing and take-back arrangements for WEEE.

You can find contact details for approved authorised treatment facilities.

Other EEE producer responsibilities

In addition, you must: