WEEE for manufacturers, rebranders and importers
WEEE producer responsibilities
If you produce, rebrand or import electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) and your products fall under the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Regulations, you must comply with certain responsibilities.
To check whether your products are affected, see how to check whether WEEE producer responsibilities apply to you.
Producer compliance schemes (PCSs)
All EEE producers must join a PCS. If you fail to do so you can be prosecuted and fined up to £5,000 in a magistrates' court, or an unlimited amount in a Crown Court.
Your PCS will be responsible for:
- registering your business as a producer with the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA)
- reporting the EEE you place on the UK market
- arranging the collection of household WEEE from designated collection facilities or other established collection networks
- arranging the treatment and recovery of WEEE
- providing evidence that you have complied with your WEEE treatment and recovery obligations
- providing advice on complying with obligations regarding household and non-household WEEE
You will need to pay the PCS for collecting, treating, recovering and disposing of the same amount of household EEE that you place on the UK market. There are separate collection and funding arrangements for non-household equipment - see financing and take-back arrangements for WEEE.
Other EEE producer responsibilities
In addition, you must:
- label your products correctly - see marking your products under the WEEE Regulations
- make information available to WEEE treatment and reprocessing facilities about how to dismantle and recycle your products at the end of their life
- give your producer registration number to distributors you supply equipment to
- keep records for at least four years, including the amounts of EEE placed on the UK market and sales to end users in other member states
- comply with restrictions on the use of hazardous substances - see restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment (ROHS).
NIEA WEEE producer responsibility unit028 9056 9338