Trade preference agreements

Where to get help with import and export preferences


Export and import preferences can be complex, and there are a number of organisations that can give you practical advice.

Your first port of call should be the HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) National Advice Service, which can help with general and specific queries on preferences throughout the import and export process. You can call the HMRC VAT Helpline on Tel 0300 200 3700.

Correctly classifying your goods is essential before you can generate paperwork for importing or exporting goods using preferences. You can email the HMRC Tariff Classification Service at for help on classification codes.

Access the UK Trade Tariff.

If you're an importer or exporter, local Chambers of Commerce can provide practical business support. They can also check and stamp EUR1 movement certificates for exporters.

If you have a complaint about how duty and preference issues have been handled by HMRC and cannot resolve them directly, you can raise the problem with the Adjudicator's Office - they will examine all issues fairly and impartially. Find out how to make a complaint about HMRC through the Adjudicator's Office.

  • Adjudicator's Office Enquiry Line
    0300 057 1111