Make child maintenance deductions from an employee's pay

Your legal obligations when deducting child maintenance


By law, you must:

  • give information to the Child Maintenance Service if you're asked to
  • send payments as soon as possible, but no later than the 19th day of the month following the month you made the deduction
  • tell the Child Maintenance Service immediately if there are any problems with taking payments from a paying parent's earnings
  • make regular payments - if you don't send payments and don't explain why, you could be taken to court

The paying parent is the parent who doesn't have main day-to-day care of the child.

You must also tell the Child Maintenance Service about a change of circumstances within 10 days. For example, if:

  • an employee leaves your business
  • you're asked to set up a deduction from earnings order (DEO) for someone who doesn't work for you

You can report these changes online using My Child Maintenance Case, phone Child Maintenance Service or put this information in writing.

Use My Child Maintenance Case online

If you've ever managed a case through the Child Maintenance Service, you can register for the online service. The service is called My Child Maintenance Case (MCMC) and lets you:

  • see all deductions for the Child Maintenance Service
  • report and make changes
  • send messages
  • see important information you've been sent


You can also call if you have any questions.

Child Maintenance Service Employer Payment Team
Telephone: 0800 232 1961
Text relay number: 18001 0800 171 2345
nidirect guidance on contacting 08 and 03 telephone numbers

  • CMS employer helpline
    0800 232 1961
  • CMS text relay number
    18001 0800 171 2345
Developed with:
  • Department for Communities