Disability support: Workable (NI) (https://www.nibusinessinfo.co.uk/content/disability-support-workable-ni)
Workable (NI) gives people with disabilities the opportunity to work in a wide variety of jobs
Workable (NI) is a programme that gives people with disabilities the opportunity of working in a wide variety of jobs. It provides a flexible range of long term support and assists people who, due to their disability, encounter substantial barriers to finding and staying in employment. Read more on Workable (NI) (https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/workable-ni).
The programme is delivered by three organisations contracted by the Department for Communities (DfC):
- Disability Action (https://www.disabilityaction.org/support-in-work)
- Supported Employment Solutions (SES) (http://www.sesni.org.uk/)
- Ulster Supported Employment Ltd (USEL) (https://www.usel.co.uk/u-work)
These organisations have extensive experience of meeting the vocational needs of people with disabilities.
The provision under Workable (NI) can include support such as:
- assigning a job coach to assist the worker with a disability and their colleagues adapt to the needs of the particular job
- extra training
- disability awareness training