1 November 2017
Does your business have an innovative solution for safe and efficient school transport?
The Education Authority has launched a new Smart School Transport competition for small businesses, with up to £200,000 available. It's aimed at digital solution providers to stimulate the development of innovative ways to enable delivery of safer and more efficient home-to-school transport in Northern Ireland.
The Education Authority offers approximately 90,000 primary and secondary school children assistance with home-to-school transport.
Bids are invited from innovative companies that can provide cost-effective technologies, tools or processes to improve:
- convenience for pupils, eg by replacing physical passes and loading lists with smart alternatives
- understanding of usage patterns, eg by facilitating data capture on each individual trip made by each pupil
- fleet logistics by analysing data received on routes used and vehicle telematics
- pupil safety and security, eg through a system of alerts on bus timings or if a pupil unexpectedly fails to board a service
- links with other transport providers
During Phase 1 of the competition applicants are expected to demonstrate the technical feasibility and commercial viability of proposed concepts. If applicants proposals are successful there may be follow on phases for development and testing.
The deadline for competition applications is 3pm, Friday 1 December 2017.
The £200,000 Smart School Transport competition is being funded by the Small Business Research Initiative through Innovate UK.