Sector-specific skills and training in Northern Ireland
Where to find staff training and skills development tailored to your business sector
There are several sources of sector-specific advice on skills development for employees working in a particular industry.
Sector Skills Councils (SSCs)
Sector Skills Councils provide sector specific advice on skills development for employees doing particular jobs. They are independent employer led organisations that provide a range of services to help employers to reduce skills shortages and improve learning standards.
Each Sector Skills Council will agree priorities and targets with its employers and partners to address four key goals:
- reducing skills gaps and shortages
- improving productivity, business and performance
- increasing opportunities to boost the skills and productivity of everyone in the sector's workforce, including action on equal opportunities
- improving learning supply - to include apprenticeships, higher education and national occupational standards
Sector Training Councils (STCs)
Sector Training Councils were established in 1994 as independent employer representative bodies in Northern Ireland. Their role is to:
- articulate the skills, education and training needs of their sectors in the short and long term
- advise on training standards required for their sectors
- work with the Department for the Economy (DfE) and SSCs to ensure that training needs and standards are met
You can find out more about individual Sector Training Councils at the links below: