CE marking



Many products require CE marking before you can sell them within the European Economic Area. The marking shows that the product has been assessed and meets European Union (EU) safety, health or environmental requirements.

CE marking is valid only for products for which EU specifications have been introduced. The letters 'CE' stand for 'Conformité Européene', which means 'European Conformity'.

This guide explains what CE marking is. It offers information about products that need CE marking, as well as when and how you should use CE marking to ensure that you follow all relevant regulations.

Important: The UK has left the EU on 31 January 2020 and has entered a transition period. This period will run until the end of 2020 while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements. You can continue to use the CE marking if you're placing certain goods on the UK or the EU market until 1 January 2021.

For help with CE marking, including workshops to help you understand the process of certification, see help with CE marking in Northern Ireland.