Get an export health certificate


Last updated 19 August 2022

You must include a completed export health certificate (EHC) for each type of animal or animal product you export from the UK to a non-EU country.

An EHC is an official document that confirms your export meets the health requirements of the destination country.

If you're exporting a consignment which includes a mix of products, you'll need an EHC for each product type.

You may also need an EHC for each country that you transit through (as well as an EHC for your final destination country).

Applying to export

Identify the EHC you need from the list below for your product or animal. Fill it in along with any supporting forms. This might include nominating an authorised veterinary inspector.

Use the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) online application system to submit your EHC and any supporting forms.

Use Adobe Reader to complete the forms

You must use Adobe Reader to fill in your EHC and any supporting forms if they are in PDF format. Adobe Reader is a program that allows you to read and edit a PDF.

Get your export inspected

There are different export inspection processes depending on where you're exporting from.

Read more about the inspection process in Northern Ireland.

Transit certificates

As well as needing an EHC for the country you're exporting to, you may also need an EHC for any country that you're travelling through. This is known as a transit EHC.

Transiting through a non-EU country

Check whether you need a transit EHC by contacting the competent authority in the transit country. Competent authority means the equivalent of DAERA in that country.

If you decide you need a transit certificate, you'll need to apply for an EHC for that country in the usual way.

Transiting through an EU country

You'll need to apply for a transit intra trade animal health certificate (ITAHC) or commercial documents in TRACES (Trade Control and Expert System).

If you do need a transit certificate, apply for an EHC in the usual way.

You’ll need an EHC for each:

  • type of animal or animal product you’re exporting from GB
  • product type - if you’re exporting a consignment which includes a mix of products.

If you’re moving live animals or animal products to NI, you do not need to pay for them to be inspected and certified. The certifier invoices the government for these costs as part of the Movement Assistance Scheme.

Use a logistics hub to export or move your products

You can use a logistics hub to export or move products of animal origin (POAO), such as:

Using a logistics hub can save you time by speeding up border processes. It does this by providing a central point for exports and expert staff in one location.

A logistics hub can:

  • consolidate your batch of products with others from different suppliers into a single consignment
  • collect your products and transport them to their destination in the EU or Northern Ireland
  • complete and process the EHCs for your products - including access to a certifying officer
  • provide a customs brokerage service

Not all logistics hubs offer the same services. Contact your logistics company or email: to find out more about logistics hubs.

Your products need to be accompanied by the relevant supporting documents when they arrive at the logistics hub.

The certifying officer will need to check these documents before they can certify the EHC.

Contact the logistics hub to find out what information you need to send with your products, and when you need to send it.

If you need to make changes to an application

If you need to make changes or cancel an application, contact DAERA.

If you and your OV or inspector are registered to use the online service, you can ask them to cancel the EHC and ask for a replacement.

If you're not registered to use the online service, you'll need to contact APHA.

If your export does not meet all conditions set out in the EHC

You must contact the competent authority in the country you're exporting to. Competent authority means the equivalent of DAERA in that country. Ask if they'll give you a waiver for the conditions you cannot meet.

If they agree to waive any of the conditions, then an APHA vet can provide your official vet or inspector with a 'derogation' which gives them an exemption so that they can still certify your EHC.

Attach the waiver to your EHC application at the time you submit it to APHA.

If you receive the waiver after you've submitted your EHC, email the waiver to Include your case ID number or application number in this email so that APHA can link your request to your EHC application.

If you need help

Contact DAERA if you need help getting an EHC.

You can find your DAERA direct regional office or contact DAERA by phone on Tel: 0300 200 7840.