Import or export endangered species: check if you need a CITES permit


Last updated 20 January 2021

You must apply for a permit or certificate to import, export or re-export any animal or plant species, and their parts or derivatives, that are on the CITES list.

Use Species+ to find out if your specimen is on the CITES list.

Species are listed according to how endangered they are in the wild. Annex A is the most strictly controlled list of species and annex D the least.

You must apply for a permit to import, export or re-export annex A, B or C specimens.

If you plan to use a specimen for commercial purposes, you must check if you also need an Article 10 certificate for commercial purposes. You may be able to get an exemption for single commercial use.

Find out how to apply for CITES permits and certificates, including any fees you’ll need to pay.

Unless you have the correct CITES documentation, you should not:

  • enter into contracts over specimens
  • make payments for their purchase
  • ship specimens

You’ll need to:

  • use a designated point of entry or exit
  • show your CITES documents to Border Force
  • check other custom controls required by HMRC

Read the guide for trading CITES-listed specimens through UK ports and airports.

Musical instruments, museums, art exhibitions and touring displays

In some cases, you may need to move CITES specimens across international borders several times. For example, endangered species or specimens that are part of a:

  • touring orchestra
  • museum exhibit
  • art exhibition
  • touring display or circus

If you’re part of a touring orchestra and only plan to travel with a single instrument, you can use the FED0172 certificate to apply for a musical instrument certificate. Make sure you state that you’re applying to move a single musical instrument. There’s no charge for this kind of permit.

If you’re travelling with multiple instruments or specimens, you must apply for a CITES travelling exhibition certificate.

Find out how to apply for CITES permits and certificates.

Contact APHA Centre for International Trade: Bristol if you’re unsure about which type of permit or certificate you need.

Personal and household effects

In some specific circumstances, you do not need CITES documentation to move personal and household effects that contain a CITES specimen.

Contact APHA Centre for International Trade: Bristol if you think that a personal or household item, which you plan to import, export or re-export, includes a CITES specimen.


You cannot export or import European Eels (Anguilla anguilla) into or out of Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales). This includes between GB and Northern Ireland (NI).

Extra rules about identifying controlled species

CITES rules still apply to items if the:

  • packaging lists a controlled item but the packet does not contain a specimen or derivative - such as a traditional Asian medicine listing tiger bone
  • actual species is not known and the specimen can only be identified to a higher group that includes controlled species - such as Crocodylia (for all crocodiles, alligators and gharials) and Orchidaceae (for all orchids)

Where the specimen cannot be identified as a specific species in a taxonomic group, APHA treats it as the most protected species of that group.

CITES rules do not apply to naturally excreted urine, faeces and ambergris as these are waste products.

Contact APHA Centre for International Trade: Bristol if you’re unsure if CITES rules apply to your item.

Customs requirements for CITES items

All CITES import, export and re-export permits or certificates must be endorsed by customs authorities when they enter or leave the UK.

UK Border Force (UKBF) will check and endorse the documents. UKBF will keep the documents and send copies to APHA. Other copies are used to prove legal import or export of the specimen.

For imports, you must present the import permit on arrival in the UK. The sender must:

  • get the appropriate documents to submit to UKBF
  • attach CITES documents travelling with the goods to the outside of the parcel in a sealed clear-plastic folder

For more details on what to expect at customs, see guidance on the legal requirement to show your CITES import permit at the first point of entry into the UK (CIP14).

If you do not identify an import as part of CITES rules, UK Border Force can seize the goods and take criminal action against you and anyone else involved.

Export by post

You must present your CITES permit and specimen to UKBF before you post your items to destinations outside the UK (or for GB to NI movements). All 3 copies of the permit should be securely attached to the outside of the parcel. The yellow copy will be returned to you.

You must complete a customs declaration form CN22 or CN23. This depends on the value of the item. You can get these forms from any Post Office. The customs declaration must include:

  • a description of the goods
  • the value
  • whether they’re gifts or commercial items

You also need a ‘C&E 83A label: exported by post under customs and excise control’. You can get one by calling HMRC on 0300 200 3700.

For more ways to contact HMRC, check their Imports and exports: general enquiries page.

Import by post

If you’re importing CITES goods by post, you must make sure that the sender fills in and attaches to the items:

  • customs declaration form CN22 or CN23 - you can get these from any post office
  • any CITES documents required

Although the sender is responsible for making a complete and accurate declaration, you should make sure it’s done correctly.

UKBF checks CITES imports before they can enter the UK. You will be asked to provide your CITES UK import permit before UKBF releases the specimen.

Retrospective permits

You must have the relevant permit before you import, export or re-export a CITES specimen. You can only apply for a retrospective permit under very specific and exceptional circumstances.

Before you apply for a retrospective permit, you must contact CPHA Centre for International Trade: Bristol.

Contact APHA

If you’re unsure about your application or do not know what fee to pay, contact APHA Centre for International Trade: Bristol.