Advantages of cloud computing
Cloud computing can offer your business a number of advantages. It allows you to set up a virtual office with access to your tools and services anywhere and anytime, through a web-enabled device.
It can also help you:
- reduce hardware and software costs
- support more flexible working practices
- scale your IT systems
- reduce the need for in-house IT support
- access reliable and secure back-up for your business data
Lower IT costs
Cloud computing can be a very cost-efficient method to use, maintain and upgrade your IT systems and applications. For example:
- having your business applications provided over the internet means you would no longer need to install and set up that software across your business yourself
- maintenance and other upgrades can be managed off-site by your cloud service provider
- operational cost savings can be achieved by reducing the levels of in-house technical expertise you require - allowing you to focus more on your core business
Cloud computing allows your business to easily upscale or downscale your IT requirements as and when required. For example, most cloud service providers will allow you to upgrade your existing package to accommodate business needs or changes to market conditions. This would support your business growth without needing expensive changes to your existing IT systems.
Access to new technologies
Cloud computing can help ensure that you always have access to the latest technology. You would no longer need to worry about updating your software or investing in new back-end technology - as your service provider could manage this on your behalf. This can also give you access to software, hardware and IT functionality that would be too expensive to buy outright.
Cloud computing allows your employees to be more flexible - both in and out of the workplace. Employees can access files using web-enabled devices such as smartphones, laptops and netbooks. The ability to simultaneously share documents and other files over the internet can also help support both internal and external collaboration.
Cloud services can provide your business with enterprise-level back-up. While there are some concerns around data protection, cloud computing can give your business access to professionally managed back-up for all of your business information.
While cloud computing can greatly benefit many businesses, it is not without its downsides. Read about the disadvantages of cloud computing.