Get your EU professional qualification recognised in the UK


Last updated 24 January 2024

This guidance is about getting an EEA or Swiss qualification recognised in the UK. There’s different guidance if you need to get a UK qualification recognised in the EEA or Switzerland.

You’ll need to have your professional qualification officially recognised if you want to work in a profession that is regulated in the UK. It will need to be recognised by the appropriate regulator for your profession. You’ll need to do this even if you’re providing temporary or occasional professional services.

Professionals already working in the UK

You don’t have to do anything if your qualification was officially recognised by the relevant regulator in the UK before 1 January 2021. The regulator’s decision to recognise your qualification will remain valid.

If you were using the temporary or occasional declaration to work in the UK, you will need to get your qualification recognised by the relevant regulator.

Start working in the UK

The UK recognises qualifications from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein which are of an equivalent standard to UK qualifications.

Check the UK list of regulated professions to find out if your profession is regulated. Then contact the relevant UK regulator, using the details provided, to find out how to get your professional qualification recognised.

Some professions have separate regulators in England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Make sure you contact the appropriate regulator for where you want to work.

Applications made before 1 January 2021 will be completed under the old rules where possible. This will be the case even if they are not completed before this date.

If you’re a Swiss national

There are different rules for Swiss nationals and the family members of Swiss nationals.

If you already had a qualification, or you started your qualification before 1 January 2021, your application for recognition in the UK will be completed under the EU rules. This will still be the case if the application is made after 31 December 2020, as long as it is made before 31 December 2024.

If you had a pre-existing contract to provide temporary or occasional services in the UK, and you started working before 1 January 2021, you can continue to provide your services until 31 December 2025. This will be subject to the terms of your original contract.

If you’re an architect, auditor, lawyer, or healthcare professional

There are different rules if you’re an architect, an auditor, a lawyer, or a healthcare professional.

Find out what to do if you’re an architect
Find out what to do if you’re an auditor
Find out what to do if you’re a lawyer
Find out what to do if you’re a healthcare professional