Some people are automatically entitled to work in the UK. Others may have restrictions on how long they can stay, whether they can work or the type of work they can do.
All employers in the UK have a responsibility to prevent illegal migrant working. You must therefore check the entitlement of everyone you plan to employ to work in the UK.
You could face a civil penalty if you employ an illegal worker and have not carried out a correct right to work check.
This guide will tell you how to comply with the laws on checking the entitlement to work in the UK.
Structure your business
Name your business
Register your business
Choose your premises
- National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage rates
- Carry out pre-employment checks
- Ensure your workers are eligible to work in the UK
- Get employers' liability insurance
- Issue a written statement of employment
- Set up your payroll and register for PAYE with HMRC