Import high-risk food and feed not of animal origin from the EU to Great Britain


Last updated 31 January 2024

High-risk food and feed not of animal origin (HRFNAO) is not included in the categorisation of products as high, medium or low risk under the Border Target Operating Model (BTOM).

Read more about importing HRFNAO under the Border Target Operating Model.

This guidance applies to businesses in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) importing or moving high-risk food or feed not of animal origin (HRFNAO) from the EU and Northern Ireland.

It also applies to goods imported for commercial purposes by post or courier. Contact your post or courier service for more information about the process.

HRFNAO includes: 

  • food and feed not of animal origin (FNAO) with known or emerging risks to public health  
  • unauthorised genetically modified rice in rice products originating from China

If HRFNAO has been cleared for the EU market, you can currently import it to Great Britain without border checks. You’ll need to follow the process to:

  • notify authorities in Great Britain
  • check what documents you need

Imports can enter Great Britain at any point of entry. 

If HRFNAO has been processed in the EU, it becomes a product of the EU and you do not need to follow this process.

You need to follow different guidance if you’re importing:

Notify authorities in Great Britain

You must submit an import notification on the import of products, animals, food and feed system (IPAFFS) to notify authorities in Great Britain about all imports of HRFNAO from the EU. This is also known as a common health entry document (CHED).

You must do this at least one working day before the HRFNAO is expected to arrive at the point of entry.

You’ll get a notification reference number when you submit your import notification. The format of this number will be CHEDD.GB.YYYY.XXXXXXX.

Add information about the approved business you’re importing from

You need to add information to IPAFFS about the approved business you’re importing from, if it’s coming from:

  • the EU
  • Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Faroes or Greenland

Follow these steps to add the approved business:

  1. Sign in or register to use IPAFFS.
  2. On the ‘Traders addresses’ page, select ‘Add a place of origin’, then select ‘Create a new place of origin’.
  3. In the ‘Place of origin name’ field, enter the full name of the exporting business.
  4. In the ‘Place of origin’ fields, enter the full address, telephone number, country and email address for the business.
  5. Save these details. Details will be saved to your address book so that you can use them again.
  6. Add the approved business to your pre-notification.

If you need help with import notifications

For help with your import notification, email the Food Standards Agency (FSA):

Check what documents you need

You need a laboratory report and a health certificate (also called an ‘official certificate’) if you import the following HRFNAO:   

All HRFNAO imports must be accompanied by commercial documents.

Laboratory reports

Full laboratory analyses must be provided for HRFNAO products to screen for various contaminants. The screening process and what to screen for depends on your product.

Laboratory analyses must be dated no more than 6 months before the health certificate for your product. They must be accompanied by a declaration from the competent authority where the sample was tested.

Health certificates

These are also referred to as ‘official certificates’.

The EU exporter must:

  • apply for the export health certificate (EHC) in their own country – competent authorities should use model health certificates to create versions that exporters  can apply for
  • give you an electronic copy to upload to IPAFFS

The health certificate is valid for 4 months from the date of issue but no longer than 6 months from the date of the results of the last laboratory analysis.

The original certificate (not a copy) must travel with the consignment.

Commercial documents

You must upload any accompanying documents to your IPAFFS notification. These could be: 

  • an invoice
  • the packing list
  • the bill of lading or airway bill

The document must travel with the consignment.

Moving HRFNAO from Northern Ireland to Great Britain

You can move HRFNAO from Northern Ireland to Great Britain if they’re qualifying Northern Ireland goods.

Importing HRFNAO from the EU from 30 April 2024

From 30 April 2024, new checks at the border on all HRFNAO imported from the EU will be introduced. All HRFNAO must enter through a point of entry that has the relevant border control post.

If you need help

Contact the FSA if you’re not sure about anything in this guide. Email:

If you need help with your customs declaration

Contact HMRC for help.