Once you have got a clear idea of what you need to buy and you have identified some potential suppliers, you can build a shortlist of sources that meet your needs.
What to look for when shortlisting suppliers
When considering the supplier firms on your shortlist, ask yourself the following questions:
- Can these suppliers deliver what you want, when you want it?
- Are they financially secure?
- How long have they been established?
- Do you know anyone who has used and can recommend them?
- Are they on any approved supplier lists from trade associations, local or central government? Find a supplier to central government.
Do some research and try to narrow your supplier list down to no more than four or five candidates. It's a waste of time for you and the potential supplier if you approach them when there's little chance of them fulfilling your requirements.