Choose a solicitor for your business
Ten questions to ask before hiring a solicitor
In order to find the best solicitor for your needs, try to find out the following about your prospective solicitor.
- Do they understand the nature of your business? If not, it's often helpful to provide them with a written summary.
- Is the solicitor happy to take you on as a client and comfortable with the work you want them to do?
- Are they qualified to act for you? Do they have a practising certificate issued by the Law Society of Northern Ireland and do they have suitable insurance to protect you in case anything should go wrong?
- What hourly rate will they charge?
- Do they think what you are looking to achieve is realistic? If so, will they outline the steps they think you need to take to achieve it?
- Will they explain things in clear, plain language and not confuse you with legal jargon?
- Will they provide you with real, practical solutions and not just a legal commentary on your case?
- Will they agree methods and frequency of keeping in contact, using face-to-face meetings, phone, letters or email?
- Can they provide you with a client-care letter that sets out their terms of business and complaints procedure?
- Can they outline what other services the firm may be able to provide as your business develops?
The Law Society of Northern Ireland has a searchable solicitor directory that you can use to find local solicitors.