Direct marketing allows you to generate a specific response from targeted groups of customers. It's a particularly useful tool for small businesses because it allows you to:
- focus limited resources where they are most likely to produce results
- measure the success of campaigns accurately by analysing responses
- test your marketing - you can target a representative sample of your target audience and see what delivers the best response rates before developing a full campaign
A direct marketing campaign can help you to achieve the following key objectives:
- increasing sales to existing customers
- building customer loyalty
- re-establishing lapsed customer relationships
generating new business
There are many different approaches to direct marketing. These include mailshots and telemarketing, email marketing, SMS marketing and social media. The method most appropriate for your business will depend on who you are targeting, the message you want get across and response you want to generate.
The results of direct marketing aren't guaranteed. A poorly planned or targeted campaign can be a waste of money. A badly designed mailshot, for example, could simply end up in the bin. And worse still, it may irritate recipients and damage your business' reputation as a result.