Your designs can be an important asset and play a key role in the success of your business. They can:
- distinguish your goods from those of competitors
- be a significant selling point
- generate income, eg through licensing or selling
- be used to raise capital, eg as security for a loan
- form an essential part of your business branding
Design right and registration can protect that asset and add value to your business.
How to exploit your designs
Licensing or selling your registered designs, instead of exploiting them yourself, can provide an important source of revenue for your business. Indeed, some businesses exist solely to collect the royalties from a registered design they have licensed.
Some products can be protected and then licensed with a combination of a registered design, a patent and trade marks.
You must inform the Intellectual Property Office if you intend to license or sell a registered design.