Energy Performance Certificates for business properties

Do I need an Energy Performance Certificate?


An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is needed when a new building is constructed or when an existing buildings is marketed for sale or rent. An EPC enables you to consider energy efficiency and potential energy costs.

EPCs are also needed for buildings with multiple tenancies and let for different uses, with a mixture of retail, office and/or residential accommodation.

EPC requirements when selling or leasing premises

Prospective buyers or tenants must receive an EPC before they buy, let or sublet premises.

It is the owner or landlord who is responsible for providing an EPC to any prospective buyer or tenant. This should be done no later than the day on which a viewing is carried out, or written information is provided about the premises. At the very latest, an EPC must be provided when a contract to sell or let premises is arranged - see Energy Performance Certificates for the sale of business premises.

Existing occupiers and tenants will not require an EPC unless they sell, assign or sublet their interest. When letting business premises, the number of EPCs will vary according to the use and tenancy arrangements of each building - see Energy Performance Certificates for rented business premises.

EPC requirements for new buildings

Owners of newly built or refurbished business property must receive an EPC before they accept a property from a builder.

When constructing new buildings, or carrying out certain types of refurbishment or modification work, it is the person responsible for construction - usually the builder - who must provide an EPC - see Energy Performance Certificates for newly built business premises.

When you don't need an Energy Performance Certificate

EPCs are not needed for:

  • lease renewals or extensions
  • compulsory purchase orders
  • sales of shares in a company where buildings remain in company ownership
  • lease surrenders
  • temporary buildings with a planned time of use less than two years
  • standalone buildings with a total useful floor area of less than 50 metres squared that are not dwellings
  • industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings with low energy demand