Successful fulfilment of a customer's order is about meeting their expectations. This includes:
- delivering the product in perfect condition
- delivering on time
- keeping the customer informed of any delays and new delivery dates
Effective order fulfilment for customer satisfaction
Use the following tips to help ensure that your fulfilment process provides a satisfactory conclusion to the whole purchasing cycle.
- Process all orders at a line-item level, so that each individual item ordered is clearly identified. This is particularly important where a customer places a multi-item order and one or two of these items are out of stock.
- Personalise orders so that the customer feels that full account has been taken of their individual needs.
- Track the status of the order so that any customer enquiry can be resolved promptly and efficiently. Formal tracking o ensures that any problems are quickly spotted and fixed.
- Communicate the order status to the customer to ensure that they are kept fully informed of progress. Many carriers now use email to tell a customer that an order has been dispatched. Others use online tracking systems allowing the customer to log on to their website and check progress.
- Turn the order around quickly, preferably within 24 hours. The customer will be keen to have their order delivered as soon as possible. Any delay in actually dispatching it will have a negative impact.
- Consider your packaging not only in terms of ensuring safe delivery, but also in relation to branding on the outside. Think about what you can put inside the package that might increase the likelihood of additional sales, eg brochures and special offers.
- Be practical about delivery and ensure that you set realistic customer expectations in terms of the likely delivery date.
- Manage the differing scales of business by ensuring that you have the resources to handle the peaks and troughs of demand.
- Choose the right carrier if you decide to outsource your distribution activity, especially if your product requires special handling. Negotiate guaranteed delivery times with your carrier or set service level agreements that they must meet.
- Handle returns efficiently and effectively, and ensure that any customer complaints is quickly and professionally resolved.