Employee engagement is a workplace approach designed to encourage staff motivation and commitment, which aims to result in the improved wellbeing and performance of workers, alongside meeting your business goals and values.
An engaged employee will feel motivated and loyal to the organisation they work for, which will drive innovation and help to move your business forward. Follow our five tips to help you increase employee engagement in your organisation.
1. Listen to employees - actively listen to your employees, ask them for ideas for improvement and their opinions on business matters. Make it easy for staff to share their views and communicate with you. For example, through regular staff surveys, staff suggestion boxes or forums that focus on specific business issues. This will help staff feel valued and involved.
2. Keep staff informed – have a clear internal communications strategy and keep staff updated on developments that may affect them. For example, you can keep employees informed through intranet updates, email communications and face-to-face meetings. Good communication helps grow trust within your organisation.
3. Show your appreciation – if staff have suggested new ideas or different ways of doing things, you should acknowledge their efforts. Respond to the feedback you receive - explain why you aren’t going to act on an idea and reward ideas that are implemented. This can also incentivise other staff to engage.
4. Establish the right culture – strive to create a working environment that is open and inclusive, where staff feel valued and supported. Create a culture where staff are not afraid to challenge how things are currently done and are willing to suggest new ideas.
5. Empower your staff – give employees the autonomy to get the job done. Ensure staff understand the importance of their role and where they fit into the organisation’s plans. Let them take responsibility for achieving business goals and new projects or challenges. This will help staff feel trusted, develop their skills and may lead to more efficient ways of doing things.