Waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE)

Operating a WEEE producer compliance scheme


Producer compliance schemes (PCS) arrange for waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) to be collected and treated, recycled or reused on behalf of their members. They buy evidence from approved authorised treatment facilities (AATFs) and approved exporters (AEs) to demonstrate that the WEEE has been treated, reused or recovered. If you want to operate a PCS you must:

  • apply to the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) for approval
  • demonstrate that you can collect and arrange the treatment and recycling of the amount of your members' WEEE obligations for at least three years

You may also need to register as a waste carrier or broker to transport or trade waste.

Requirements when operating a PCS

If you operate a PCS you must give the NIEA:

  • quarterly reports, including the amount of new electrical and electronic equipment placed on the market by your producers
  • a declaration of compliance supported by evidence to show how you have paid for the treatment and recycling of your members' WEEE
  • an operational plan by 31 July each year
  • records of the amount in tonnes of household and non-household WEEE recovered, treated and recycled

You must also:

  • register each of your producer members for each compliance period
  • arrange for WEEE to be collected and transported to an authorised treatment facility (ATF), AATF or AE for treatment or recovery
  • ensure AATFs or AEs are treating WEEE to the required standards and enough material and components are recycled or recovered
  • obtain enough evidence to show you have met your members' obligations
  • co-operate with other PCSs

PCS operational plans

The operational plan must include:

  • evidence that you have the money and technical expertise to operate the scheme
  • details of how you plan to treat, recover and recycle household and non-household WEEE
  • the designated collection facilities, AATFs and AEs you intend to use
  • an estimate of the amount of WEEE you will handle

There are different obligations for collecting household WEEE and non-household WEEE - contact NIEA for further information.