Recognising and derecognising a trade union

Procedure where the bargaining unit is no longer appropriate or has ceased to exist


A situation may arise when a union or employer feels that the bargaining unit - the group of workers the union represents - is no longer appropriate or has ceased to exist. Either party may apply to the Industrial Court to determine what bargaining unit is appropriate.

In order for the Industrial Court to reach its decision, the bargaining unit must have changed because of one or more of the following:

  • the business' activities
  • the organisation or structure of the business
  • the number of workers in the bargaining unit

Industrial Court guidance on trade union recognition.

  • Industrial Court
    028 9025 7599
Developed with:
  • Department for the Economy