Invest Northern Ireland (Invest NI) is the first point of contact when it comes to research and development (R&D) support in Northern Ireland.
As an economic development agency, it helps individuals, small, medium and large-sized businesses in the region to research and develop technologically innovative products and processes.
Invest NI R&D grant support
Invest NI may offer funding support to eligible businesses looking to plan and/or undertake R&D projects. The funding can help you:
- plan, develop and test your idea
- build and test a prototype
- create and refine your concept and design
- secure intellectual property
To qualify for this support:
- you must meet Invest NI eligibility criteria
- your R&D project must cost a minimum of £15,000
- you must be able to fund at least 50 per cent of the total cost of the project
R&D projects can typically last between 6 and 36 months. Read more about the Invest NI's R&D grant.
You should call Invest NI Helpline on Tel 0800 181 4422 and speak to an innovation adviser about your specific R&D needs.
Gateway to other R&D support
If you don't qualify for an Invest NI R&D grant, Invest NI's innovation advisers may be able to signpost you to other sources of UK innovation funding, help you access collaborative R&D support or small business research initiative, or put you in touch with potential partners in local colleges, universities and other companies.
Watch the animation below to see how Invest NI can help you be more innovative through R&D.