How to recycle your business waste
Recycling waste in the hospitality industry
Businesses in the hospitality industry can recycle significant quantities of materials.
Recycling your waste can:
- lower your waste management costs, especially if you often dispose of heavy materials such as glass
- save space and reduce clutter
- improve your environmental credentials
- reduce your impact on the environment
However, you should still make sure you comply with your duty of care for business waste.
What can you recycle?
Materials that you can recycle include:
- glass bottles and jars
- plastic bottles
- food and drink cans
- printer cartridges
- electrical items
Finding a recycling waste contractor
You should consider the following questions when looking for a waste contractor suitable for your recycling needs:
- What materials will you recycle?
- Do you want the materials collected by the waste contractor or can you transport them to the waste facility?
- Is the service suitable for the size of your business? If you produce very little waste, you may not need a weekly scheduled collection.
- How will you collect and store the materials for recycling?
- How will you pay for the service? For example, is there an annual charge or a fee each time containers are emptied?
- How will your glass be collected? It will normally be best to separate colours at your site.
Setting up a recycling scheme
Once you have found a suitable waste contractor, the next step is to consider how a recycling scheme will work in your business. This includes:
- deciding on the location and labelling of recycling containers
- arranging the collection schedule with the contractor
- employee involvement and training - staff members must understand what materials are being recycled and where they should put them
- launch and promotion - so that staff are clear about when to start using the service
Invest NI Helpline0800 181 4422