First aid, accidents and illness in the workplace

RIDDOR: Keeping records of accidents and ill health


You must keep a record of any reportable injury, disease or dangerous occurrence. This must include:

  • the date and method of reporting
  • the date, time and place of the event
  • personal details of those involved
  • a brief description of the nature of the event or disease

You can keep the record in any form you wish. For example, you could choose to keep your records by:

  • keeping copies of report forms in a file
  • recording the details on a computer
  • using your accident book entry
  • maintaining a written log

If you choose to report the incident by telephone or through the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) website, the HSENI will send you a copy of the record held within the database. You will be able to request amendments to the record if you feel the report is not fully accurate.

Keeping records will help you to identify patterns of accidents and injuries, and will help when completing your risk assessment. Your insurance company may also want to see your records if there is a work-related claim.


  • make sure you protect people's personal details by storing records confidentially in a secure place
  • if you have more than 10 employees, or own or occupy a mine, quarry or factory, you must keep an accident book under social security law
  • you can buy an accident book or record the details in your own record system
  • HSENI Helpline
    0800 032 0121
Developed with:
  • hseni