Energy and resources effect all business and can have a major impact on operations in terms of cost and productivity. Increasing efficiency in these areas not only brings increased competitiveness, but also significant environmental benefits.
There are two main approaches to developing your resource efficiency strategy:
- consume less - cut down on what you use, such as paper and ink
- manage your waste - make the most of the waste you generate, eg sell it on or recycle
Resource efficiency in the workplace
Energy efficiency and green operational practice are now widely accepted in the workplace. There is a wide variety of resources online to help you save on energy consumption and minimise your waste.
A few starter tips on workplace efficiency include:
- using office supplies more efficiently - eg don't print out every email
- being innovative with your product design - using less packaging/printing
- turning off lighting or heating when not in use
Waste management and efficiency
While you will make significant savings by becoming more resource efficient, you will not be able to remove all waste. Managing the waste that you do produce can be just as important. Make sure you can manage your waste by:
- having a waste management plan
- recycling where possible - plastics, paper, metal
- investigating methods of disposal - some waste may even have a resale value
Help with energy and resource efficiency
Invest Northern Ireland (Invest NI) can offer support to Northern Ireland businesses interested in reducing their energy, waste and resource costs.
Invest NI's Energy and Resource Efficiency Team can provide:
- technical consultancy - to help identify areas for increased efficiency and cost savings
- resource matching service - to find opportunities to turn your waste into another business' resource
- resource efficiency capital grant - to provide investment support for projects that aim to reduce the consumption of water, raw materials or waste production
For more information on this support, including eligibility criteria, download full overview of Invest NI's energy and resource efficiency support programmes (DOC, 194K).
Alternatively, you can contact email@example.com or call Tel 0800 181 4422.
Find out more about Invest NI energy and waste management support.