As an employer, you must adhere to the Data Protection Act and keep and protect certain records in relation to your workers.
Under the Data Protection Act you must:
- only collect information you need for a specific purpose
- keep the information secure
- ensure the information you have is relevant and up-to-date
- only hold as much as you need and only for as long as you need it
- allow the subject of the information to see it on request
This guide explains what employee records you should keep, how long you must keep them for and offers advice on how to set up a staff records system.
It also explains your legal obligations as an employer and your workers' rights regarding information and data you hold on them.
See the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) guidance on the Data Protection Act 2018.