Wind up a limited company that owes you money

Support for winding up a company that owes you money


There are several organisations that can provide detailed information about winding up a company that owes you money.

The Insolvency Service

The Insolvency Service is a branch within the Department for the Economy (DfE) that is responsible for insolvency issues in Northern Ireland. This includes investigating the financial affairs of individuals who become bankrupt and failed companies in compulsory liquidation to find out how and why they became insolvent.

Where there is evidence of misconduct they may take action which can result in bankrupts receiving extended restrictions and directors being disqualified, both for periods of up to 15 years.

Read DfE's information about the Insolvency Service.

Institute of Directors

The Institute of Directors (IoD) is a membership organisation for business leaders. It has 30,000 members, as well as a large international network.

Read the IoD's factsheet on the duties and responsibilities of directors.

Companies House

Companies House is responsible for:

  • incorporating and dissolving limited companies
  • examining and keeping company information delivered under the Companies Act and other legislation
  • making this information available to the public

Search for company information using Companies House BETA service.