Music, photography, visual art and comedy

Venues and musical events


If you are organising performance and music events, you will need to meet the same basic requirements as any other business. You will need to consider the legal and taxation issues, as well as marketing, finance and business planning.

Performance events can range in size from small gigs to major concerts and festivals. You will need a licence from your local council, as well as from copyright owners when playing either recorded or live music.

Find information on the Entertainment licence (Northern Ireland).

Search GOV.UK's Licence Finder for other licence requirements for your business.

Health and safety is an important consideration, and before arranging any event, you should get the advice of health and safety officers in your local council. You may want to use a specialist contractor to make sure that you meet the requirements of the many regulations. These include fire safety, environmental noise control and public safety.

Read more about organising events in Northern Ireland.