Insurance: business property and assets

Working from home: business insurance


If you work from home, you may need a specialist insurance policy. Household insurance will not cover any loss of office equipment, nor will it provide public liability cover.

Your standard household insurance may even be invalid if you work from home, although most household insurance policies can be extended to cover this. Similarly, you should check the terms and conditions of your mortgage, as lenders often need to be informed if you use your home to run a business.

Consult your insurance broker about which insurance policy would best suit your business needs and which will evolve with your business as it develops. Find an insurance broker. If you choose to deal directly with an insurer, it's worthwhile checking that they are a member of the Association of British Insurers (ABI).