Working with non-union representatives



All employers communicate with their employees in some way. However, there are some situations when the law requires this communication to take place.

Where a trade union is recognised for collective bargaining purposes, employers will usually fulfil these statutory obligations through trade union representatives.

However, in non-unionised organisations or in organisations where there are some employees not represented by a recognised trade union, you may need to consider whether non-union representatives - or 'employee representatives' - should be elected or appointed. You will then be able to inform and consult with them rather than, or in addition to, each employee individually.

This guide identifies those circumstances where you may need to engage with non-union representatives. It also explains how to get the best from working with such representatives, and where to go for help.

  • LRA Workplace Information Service
    03300 555 300
Developed with:
  • LRA