There are a number of advantages to factoring but it is also worthwhile to consider any potential drawbacks.
Advantages of factoring
Factoring provides a quick boost to cashflow. This may be very valuable for businesses that are short of working capital.
- there are many factoring companies, so prices are usually competitive
- it can be a cost-effective way of outsourcing your sales ledger while freeing up your time to manage the business
- it assists smoother cashflow and financial planning
- some customers may respect factors and pay more quickly
- factors may give you useful information about the credit standing of your customers and they can help you to negotiate better terms with your suppliers
- factors can prove an excellent strategic - as well as financial - resource when planning business growth
- you will be protected from bad debts if you choose non-recourse factoring
- cash is released as soon as orders are invoiced and is available for capital investment and funding of your next orders
- factors will credit check your customers and can help your business trade with better quality customers
Disadvantages of factoring
Queries and disputes may have a negative impact on your available funding. For this reason, factoring works best when a business is efficient and there are few disputes and queries.
- The cost will mean a reduction in your profit margin on each order or service fulfilment.
- It may reduce the scope for other borrowing - book debts will not be available as security.
- Factors will restrict funding against poor quality debtors or poor debtor spread, so you will need to manage these funding fluctuations.
- To end an arrangement with a factor you will have to pay off any money they have advanced you on invoices if the customer has not paid them yet. This may require some business planning.
- Some customers may prefer to deal directly with you.
- How the factor deals with your customers will affect what your customers think of you. Make sure you use a reputable company that will not damage your reputation.
The Asset Based Finance Association provides further informaion on factoring, invoice discounting and asset based lending.