Taking a systematic approach to management makes managing your business both easier and more effective. You work out the best way to handle each key activity and make sure that everyone uses the same approach every time.
A consistent approach like this reduces the number of mistakes and the cost of correcting problems. It also reduces the level of risk and ensures that you comply with laws. This can positively influence your business:
- Improved health and safety performance by your business will reduce the costs associated with accidents and incidents.
- Improved awareness of legal requirements reduces the chance that you will commit any offences. The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) will generally regulate your business with a lighter touch if it is well managed.
- If employees see that you are actively looking after their health and safety, relations and morale will improve.
- The public see that you are taking a responsible attitude towards your employees. This improves your image and helps generate positive PR for your business.
- Improving the efficiency of your business reduces your costs.
- You can demonstrate to your insurers that you are controlling risk effectively. This may help lower your insurance premiums.
- Banks and investors will be more willing to finance your business if you can show that it is well managed.
- Business partners have more confidence in your business. Larger companies and government agencies may only buy from businesses that can show effective management systems.
Confidence in your management systems will be highest if you can demonstrate that you comply with recognised management standards, such as health and safety British standards