Apprenticeships can help all types of businesses across a wide range of sectors harness fresh new talent. They can help equip your workforce with the practical skills and qualifications that your organisation needs now and in the future and you will enjoy the benefits of having a loyal and motivated workforce that you have trained to meet your own specific business requirements.
Many employers have reported that by employing apprentices they have realised a growth and improvement in productivity in their business. As well as this, there is a real sense of contributing to the skills need of the NI economy.
What are the benefits of employing an apprentice?
There are many benefits to you in employing an apprentice:
- for apprentices under the age of 25 the Department for the Economy (DfE) pay the full costs of the 'off-the-job' training for the duration of the apprenticeship; it contributes 50 per cent to the 'off-the-job' training for the duration of the apprenticeship for those aged 25 years and over where they are following specific priority apprenticeships
- on completion of the apprenticeship an employer incentive is available ranging from £250 to £1,500 (depending on the complexity and level of the apprenticeship undertaken) (note: the employer incentive does not apply to Higher Level Apprenticeships)
- you achieve lower costs for training and recruitment as an apprenticeship is more cost effective than hiring skilled staff
- you benefit from increased enthusiasm, motivation and loyalty as your apprentice has sought out this career path
- the mixture of on and off-the-job training means your apprentice learns the skills that work best for your business
- you can realise increased productivity, improved competitiveness and a competent workforce
- apprentices can help fill skills gaps by developing the specialist skills that you require for your business and can help you and your business keep abreast of new technology
Advertise apprenticeship opportunities online
Connect to Success NI is a free online resource developed by the Department for the Economy that enables employers to promote and advertise apprenticeship and school work experience opportunities. Find further guidance on Connect to Success NI: advertise apprenticeship opportunities online.
More useful links