Introducing a flexible working policy
You should inform and consult your employees before you introduce a flexible working policy. This may help them understand how flexible working arrangements may impact on your business.
When planning to implement a flexible working policy, you will need to consider the following:
- What flexible working arrangements will suit the business?
- How will you deal with applications, eg who will attend the meetings and how will the administration work?
- Are there jobs that might be difficult to do under a flexible working arrangement, eg jobs that don't suit homeworking?
- If there are, what is the nature of the obstacle and can you perhaps overcome it?
- How flexible are your IT arrangements, eg can employees access their email away from the workplace?
Flexible working policy templates
Acas have developed an example flexible working policy template that employers can download and adapt for their business needs.
The Equality Commission for Northern Ireland have also developed model policy and procedure template for employers on handling requests for flexible working (PDF, 1.07MB) - you can download and personalise this to your business needs.
Find out how to set up employment policies for your business.