Food safety and animal feed incidents



As a food or animal feed business, you must ensure the food or feed you import, produce, process, manufacture or distribute is safe. You must be able to:

  • identify who supplied and/or transported the food or feed
  • identify business customers that you sold the food or feed to
  • provide details of the product so that it can be identified
  • provide the quantities of the food or feed supplied, and the names and dates of sale and delivery, except where the food or feed has been sold to the final consumer

You must report any food incidents to:

  • your local council
  • Food Standards Agency (FSA)

You must report any feed incidents to:

  • the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA)
  • Food Standards Agency (FSA)

You must have management procedures in place to prevent food or animal feed incidents and to deal with them quickly when they happen. You must carry out food withdrawals and recalls for any food or animal feed that does not comply with safety rules.

This guide answers the question - what is a food incident? It explains how to report a food or animal feed incident and how to report food fraud

  • Food Standards Agency Northern Ireland
    028 9041 7700
Developed with:
  • Food Standards Agency