How to make your business more water efficient
How to analyse water use in your business
The only way to gauge the true cost of your water use is by analysing it systematically. You should:
- study your water bills - do this over the previous two or three years noting the annual consumption and cost
- identify any trends or patterns - you may be able to pick out seasonal variations
- involve your staff, eg you could get them to complete a water use survey
- produce a water balance - this is a numerical account of where water enters and leaves your business and where it is used
- carry out a benchmarking exercise and compare your water use to other businesses in your industry sector
For more information on water balances and benchmarking, see how to monitor your water use.
Once you have identified the amount of water your business uses and where you use it, you should identify where you can make savings. Lowering your utility bills will save you money and give you a competitive edge.
You could draw up a plan that details how you will reduce your water use and when the improvements will be carried out.
You may have already analysed your water-use patterns if you have an environmental management system in place.
Practical water efficiency advice
Invest NI Helpline0800 181 4422