Use intellectual property to grow your business
Intellectual property health check
For artists, artisans, inventors, sole traders and small and medium-sized businesses, intellectual property (IP) can be one of your most valuable assets. It's important to know how to protect and exploit it.
You can give your IP a close look using the online IP Health Check tool from the Intellectual Property Office (IPO).
How the health check tool can help your business
Free to use, the tool comprises four IP elements. It helps you find out:
- if you have IP to protect
- if you own it and, if you don't, who does
- how to protect it, and whether you should
- how you can exploit it commercially
You can also get advice on licensing IP and managing confidential information.
Just answer a series of quick, simple questions on the IP topic of your choice - patents, trade marks, designs, copyright, licensing IP or managing confidential information - and you will get a tailored confidential report including:
- recommended action points to help you protect and exploit your IP rights
- an explanation for each recommendation
- guidance on how to put each recommendation into practice
- links to useful information, websites and other resources
Take the IPO's IP Health Check.