How to transport dangerous goods

Marking and labelling of dangerous goods - suppliers' responsibilities

As well as the requirements specific to their transportation, suppliers of dangerous goods are required by law to label their hazardous products and packaged chemicals with hazard symbols, warnings and safety advice. A range of internationally recognised symbols has been developed so that people handling the goods know the nature of the hazard they present.

For more information, download a brief guide to the COSHH (NI) Regulations (PDF, 252K).

Manufacturers must also include instructions for use, either on the label or on a leaflet supplied with the product. Suppliers must provide material safety data sheets for dangerous products used in the workplace.

For chemicals, the general principles of classification and labelling for supply are explained by the European Regulation on Classification, Labelling and Packaging of Substances and Mixtures (CLP Regulation).

Safety labelling requirements may vary between third countries so you are advised to check requirements in destination countries before you move your goods. For example, the USA has different requirements from most European countries, so although dangerous goods from America can be moved with their labelling, it is likely that you will have to relabel them before you can supply them in the European Union.

For information on how to label your goods correctly, read our guide on how to label and package goods being shipped out of the UK.