Don't see your PR as just something that's directly targeted at the media. You can influence and impress people - including the media - in many ways, not just by getting a mention in a news story.
Try out some of these ideas for raising awareness of your business in your locality or your industry sector using non-media and activity-based PR. For example, you could try:
- giving talks on business and other subjects to organisations, schools and colleges
- joining an organisation and becoming a spokesperson
- sponsoring events such as a school fête or exhibition
- sponsoring a local sports team
- organising competitions, initiatives and surveys, possibly in cooperation with a news organisation
- meeting and talking to opinion-formers, journalists and other business people and leaders, just being seen around
- sending letters to the editor on local or industry issues
- helping with, or donating products to charity
- teaming up with suppliers or customers to work on attracting joint publicity
For more information on raising your profile by connecting with the local community, see corporate social responsibility (CSR).