Employing part-time workers
Options for part-time working
The most obvious form of part-time working is where the worker simply works fewer than the normal basic full-time hours.
For example, they could work:
- every weekday morning, afternoon or evening
- a full day every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
- weekend shifts and the occasional evening shift in the week
However, there are other part-time working options that may suit your business needs:
- term-time-only workers tend to be parents who work during term time and take paid or unpaid leave during school holidays
- job-sharing is where two or more people share the responsibilities, pay and benefits of a full-time job - see introducing job-sharing
Alternatives to part-time working
If you feel that part-time working doesn't suit a particular job or your business as a whole, you could consider other types of flexible working.
LRA Workplace Information Service03300 555 300