Outcomes of employment-related tribunal claims


If a claimant believes that their employment rights have been infringed, they can have their complaints determined by either the Industrial/Fair Employment Tribunal or by an arbitrator. Statutory arbitration is a voluntary scheme which is an alternative to the Industrial/Fair Employment Tribunal system.

Both parties must agree to refer a complaint to an arbitrator rather than going to a tribunal. If one or both of the parties prefer, the complaint can be determined by the Industrial/Fair Employment Tribunal.

The remedies available to the arbitrator are the same as those available to an employment-related tribunal.

This guide looks at the possible outcomes of employment-related tribunal claims in more detail.