Consider the costs of printing your business stationery and decide whether to use a printer or do it-house.
Costs of printing business stationery
The costs of printing stationery can vary enormously depending on a range of factors. These include:
- how much you need
- the number of colours involved
- the quality of paper or card being used
- whether it's your first print run or reprints of work the printer has done before
Remember that choosing the lowest price you're offered won't necessarily be the most cost-effective option in the long run. If the printing quality is poor you may find yourself having to reprint your stationery. You should also check what the cost will be for later reprints and for business cards for new employees.
It's wise to compare samples and quotes from at least three different printers, to make sure you get a good price.
Some printers offer starter packs containing amounts of the main stationery types that a small business is likely to need - letterheads, compliments slips and business cards.
Choose a printer for your stationary
Choosing a printer is no different to choosing any other supplier. You should:
- Specify clearly what you need. What stationery and quality of printing do you require? Do you need help with the design?
- Identify potential printers. Ask friends and colleagues for recommendations or try local directories.
- Draw up a shortlist and look at examples of their work. Check the quality of the work and that their prices are competitive.
- Choose one you're happy to work with. Can they commit to the volumes and delivery times you require?
Read more about choosing the right suppliers.
Depending on your stationery requirements, using a colour computer printer may be a cost-effective option. A simple colour inkjet printer can produce stationery of high quality when good quality paper is used. You can print from pre-designed template documents that include your logo or letterhead. Remember to factor in the cost of consumables though - the price of ink cartridges can make high-volume printing with these machines expensive.