You can register for NCTS online. A PIN is sent to the managing director of the business, and can then be used to activate the NCTS online account. Once registered, you can set up other users within your organisation.
All users of HMRC online services must first hold an online Government Gateway account. Register for an online account.
The first individual in an organisation who registers for an account and then enrols for an online service becomes an ‘administrative user’ for that organisational group.
If you register for NCTS through the HMRC portal you’ll not be able to set up other peer users - you’ll only be able to set up assistant users. So if you intend to set up more than one peer user, you should carry out your registration and service enrolment for HMRC online services through the Government Gateway website.
See detailed guidance on how to register and enrol for NCTS online.
Once you have registered and enrolled, you’ll be sent a PIN to your registered business address to activate your account. This is linked to your business EORI number.
The last step is to launch your account with your Guarantee Reference Number, issued by the NCTS Helpdesk on proof of guarantee status. You’ll also need your Trader Identification Number and Access Codes.
These must be registered by phone with the HMRC NCTS Helpdesk.
Using the online service
To use the web channel, you will need:
access to a computer that can download and print Adobe Acrobat PDF documents
a good quality printer that can print barcodes so you can print your Transit Accompanying Document and List of Items
specific settings enabled on your internet browser
Once you are in the system, the online instructions will guide you through the NCTS web channel process. Examples follow to help you prepare the data you will need to input.
Preparing a new NCTS transit declaration at departure
- Access your homepage and get an overview of all your current arrivals and departures and click on "Making a New Declaration".
- Enter general information details - eg any offices of transit and transport details.
- Input Consignor, Consignee and Principal details on the trader details screen.
- Access the goods summary screen, where you must complete the number of items, gross weight, seal numbers and any other identifying details of the consignment. If you're using a Simplified procedure, a slightly different input will be required.
- Add or edit the items list, if necessary amending information on any pre-submitted declaration.
- Enter any guarantee details.
- Review the data and submit your declaration if you are satisfied that the information is correct.
On occasion you may need to cancel an NCTS web channel transit declaration. You can do this online or fax or phone in your cancellation request. The Customs officer will key the request to NCTS and you will receive the 'Cancellation Decision' electronically. If you are an Authorised Consignor requesting cancellation for goods entered to the Simplified procedure, you must do so within the time-out period.
Keying in a new NCTS web channel arrival notification at destination
- Access your NCTS homepage to register goods under a transit movement when they arrive at your premises or at the office of destination.
- Input the Movement Reference Number, place or office of presentation, type of procedure and complete details for either the 'Normal' or 'Simplified' procedure. Complete Trader Identification Number, name and address of destination trader. You can also report en-route events by clicking on the "Add Incident" or "Add Transhipment" button.
- Under the normal procedure, customs at the office of destination will discharge the TAD on the system and release the goods if they are satisfied with your notification.
- Authorised Consignees using Simplified procedures will receive an 'unloading permission' message containing a TAD once the arrival has been notified or timers have expired. Print off this notice to compare against goods during unloading so you can notify essential information - eg were seals intact or broken and any discrepancies in quantities or weight of goods. Your goods release message from NCTS is subject to your notification of discrepancies or confirmation that the goods received match those dispatched.