Amazon Marketplace allows retailers to sell to Amazon’s huge customer base. You can list items alongside Amazon’s own stock.
How selling on Amazon works
Selling products on eBay involves a few basic steps:
- You upload your listings – you can add your offers to the Amazon catalogue using feeds, spreadsheets, and other tools.
- Customers can see your products on Amazon.com - there are features available to help customers make quick and easy purchases.
- You ship products to customers - Amazon notifies you when customers place an order. You can let Amazon do the shipping for you - or handle shipping yourself.
- Amazon transfers payments to you - Amazon deposits payment into your bank account at regular intervals and notifies you that your payment has been sent.
Amazon Marketplace has two tiers for sellers. One tier – Sell a little - is if you sell fewer than 35 items per month. The second tier – Sell a lot - is if you sell more than 35 items per month.
Sell a little
When you choose Sell a little, you have maximum flexibility to sell when and if you want without any commitment. This pricing plan consists of three different fees. These are charged per-item and when the product is bought:
- Per-item fees - sellers pay a referral fee on each item sold. This fee depends on the category the item belongs to. It will be charged on the total sum paid for the item by the buyer, including all applicable taxes and customs fees.
- Referral fees - as a seller, you pay 75 pence per item sold.
- Variable closing fees - this fee depends on the category the item belongs to and the destination of the order.
Sell a lot
Under Sell a lot, you can get maximum value if you sell in volumes above 35 items per month. It’s ideal if you’re selling regularly online. Pricing for Sell a lot includes the following fees:
- A monthly subscription fee - as a Sell a lot seller, you pay £28.75 per month, instead of paying the per-item fee of 75 pence per item sold on amazon.co.uk.
- Referral fees - sellers pay a referral fee on each item sold. This fee depends on the category the item belongs to and it will be charged on the total sum paid for the item by the buyer, including all applicable taxes and customs fees.
- Variable closing fees - this fee depends on the category the item belongs to and the destination of the order. It is only charged for items in the following category: Books, Music, Video and DVD items.
Winning the Buy Box
The Buy Box is the box on a product page where a customer starts the purchase process by adding an item or items to their shopping basket.
A key feature of the Amazon platform is that the same product can be sold by several sellers. If multiple sellers offer the same product in new condition, they may be eligible to compete for the Buy Box for that product.
There are a number of steps to increase your chances of winning the Buy Box status.