Legal requirements for tourism businesses

Signs for your tourism business


If you display any outdoor signs or advertisements you may need to apply to the planning authority for consent. Whether you need consent from the planning authority depends on whether your signs are fully, partially or not lit-up and where you place them.

If your property is listed or lies within a conservation area you may need further consent. You could also be more restricted in the types of signs you can display.

You will also need to ensure that any signs you display are not misleading. This could be a breach of fair trading rules, as well as marketing laws.

Brown tourism signs

If you wish to apply for brown tourism signposting, you should contact the Roads Department of your local council, who will advise you about:

  • procedures
  • local policy
  • costs

Tourism Northern Ireland provide information about brown signs.